I especially love this recipe because the crusts are frozen individually and bake in less than 10 minutes. Great for a quick dinner on a busy summer day!
Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
(makes 2 large, 4 medium, or 8 small crusts)
1 1/2 C warm water
2 packets active dry yeast
1/4 C olive oil
2 T sugar
2 tsp. coarse salt
2 C all-purpose flour
2 C whole-wheat flour
1. Place water in a large bowl; sprinkle with yeast. Let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.
2. Whisk in sugar, salt, and oil. Stir in flours with a wooden spoon (or use your hook attachment if you've got a mixer) until a sticky dough forms. Transfer to a lightly oiled bowl and let it rise for about an hour or until the dough doubles in size.
3. Turn dough onto a floured surface and divide into the number of crusts you are making.
4. Roll out crusts (I make 8 6-inch crusts).
5. Freeze them, then stack them. This is important! If you stack them before freezing them, it's really hard to get them apart. Put parchment or wax paper in between each crust, and transfer to a freezer-safe bag for up to 3 months.
6. Top with whatever you'd like and bake from frozen at about 400 degrees for 8-12 minutes.
I'm always looking for new ideas, so let me know what your favorite toppings are. Maybe I'll get brave and try something different for a change :)
2 comments:
I have never made homemade pizza before...now I am going to. You have me convinced! Yum!
Love that dough as well, think I might make some again.
Post a Comment