Friday, September 21, 2007

Edward vs. Harry

After finishing the Harry Potter series, I was looking for something to read. I heard from several people that if I liked Harry, I would enjoy the Twilight series. There are three books in the series (soon to be four). So, long story short, I dove into it. Twilight was a charming book. It was full of romance, which I don't usually read. It's just not my thing. The main character, Bella, was from Arizona, but her mom remarried and planned to travel with her new husband. So Bella decided to go live with her dad in a small town in Washington. The plot came out quite early in the book, and it was a fun, easy read. There was the usual teenage angst that comes with moving to a new town during high school, as well as the classic crush. The main characters, Edward and Bella, had a true red/blue relationship, which I think several of us can identify with. It was a story filled with loyalty, love, and vampires. Definitely worth the read. Edward was a true gentleman, and very romantic, to say the least.

So, that brings me to Harry. What can I say? I don't know if I will ever be as enchanted by a series of books than I was (and still am) by Harry Potter. There is something to be said for J.K. Rowling. I didn't merely identify with her characters. They became real to me. There were so many layers to each person. So many good qualites, as well as little idiosyncracies. I know the profound love Molly Weasley put into each ghastly sweater she knitted for her boys at Christmas. I will always respect and love Dumbledore. I still struggle with Professor Snape; his actions as well as his true intentions. I laughed with these people, I cried with them, I felt their pain. In some weird way, they exist in my heart and mind. Each one of them taught me something about myself. I guess I walked away from Harry Potter wanting to be a better person. Harry went to Hogwarts a boy who didn't know who he was, or really where he came from at all. But he was surrounded by great people who loved him, and he was tested by trial after trial. Overcoming each challenge that he faced required strength, knowledge, and faith. Faith that good would ultimately win out over evil.

When all is said and done, Edward and Harry both have good qualities. Edward is probably better looking, and a much better date, but I think in the end I'd take Harry. There you have it. As far as I'm concerned, the boy who lived wins again.

1 comment:

JT said...

I know that I've never read Harry, but I am going to have to disagree. I cannot imagine that anyone can be better than Edward. I am seriously infatuated with him!